Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Should Women Mean Something?



Invisible Cities is loaded with literal and figurative depictions that help understand the cities and their meaning. One representation that Calvino has frequently used is women, bathing or naked, in the cities. The women never really interact with Marco Polo or the travelers, they just pose there as an attractive object. In Diomira women cry “ooh,” out loud, while in Anastasia they just tempt the men to bathe with them. Marco Polo wishes to fin women everywhere, in Hypatia he expected to see women in a wonderful river but he finds people committing suicide instead. The wonder of Isadora is that when a man is with two women, a third always appears.

Maybe it’s just my rather feminist point of view, but the author’s symbols or metaphors are too chauvinist for the year they were written. I do disagree with the way Calvino portrays themes like desire in the book, using a chauvinist tool. This made me question whether one should be able to question the author. I don’t like the way the author portrays women but I’m not sure if I can judge that. This made me wonder if art can show unfair or offensive things that shouldn’t happen in society. I guess that an artist or an author can express their thoughts in the way they want and not be offensive as long as it does not contradict that much with what we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment